SC - Period serving practices

Aldyth at aol.com Aldyth at aol.com
Tue Feb 29 15:17:57 PST 2000

Unto THL Maredudd, and those others who have posted to this missive,
greetings.

I have indeed been enlightened. I do have more questions though.  Just
because we pick more nits on this list that Carters has Liver Pills....Does
this practice only pertain to late period Elizbethan feast?  Italian?  All
late period feasts?  Was this practice only done once at one late period
feast, and mentioned in the book?

I will look into the source to see what else it mentions.  But I have a
couple of comments, and maybe suggestions if someone else is going to plan
this type of serving.

The primary reason I would comment at all is because members of my household
have health concerns that preclude them eating a little bit all day long.
So, all 20 of us ate off-board rather than see diabetics drop to the floor.
It is just nigh impossible to schedule the entertainment, and court, and
dancing between courses and have the kitchen and the populace happy.  I saw
widespread frustration on the part of the feasters when the off boarders
(some 150 or so) began to eat and the second course had not been served.
Crown Retainers were canvassing the off board for food, for the Crown.....
If the something happens to the scheduled course, there is no backup plan.
The next course is not for a couple of hours, so no moving up a course.  I
might suggest this kind of menu plan for a much smaller event.  Serving 250
might be more than logistically a nightmare.

Has anyone else had success with this kind of serving/cooking a feast?  How
would it be accepted in InterKingdom Anthropology?

Aldyth
Aldyth at aol.com