Bad period Feasts (was SC - Re: Distress in Trimaris)

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Tue Feb 29 16:40:34 PST 2000

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

then Cariadoc wrote:
>How many of these are done by people who haven't actually cooked from
>period cookbooks, and are simply inventing period food on one or
>another poorly informed theory of what they must have eaten?

Some, I'd venture to say....  I worked in a kitchen a couple of months back
in the East where the feast was put together by two cooks who admitted they
know nothing of Period sources or recipes, but had worked "in the kitchen of
a cook who cooked Period" which appeared to be all that was necessary in
their eyes.  The main dish (it was a one remove feast) was Beef Stew with all
sorts of vegetables including beans and potatoes in it.  The dessert was
decided upon on the spot when one of them saw a recipe they thought looked
good on the side of a box of dates they had in the kitchen (they had intended
to serve baked apples with cinnamon and lots of sugar but had overbaked them
into mush).

I don't know which was scarier, that they liked the date dish so much they
vowed to make it a "regular" at their feasts in the future, or that when I
stated as diplomatically as I could, that what they were doing wasn't even
remotely Period, the answer I recieved was "we're only playing at being
Period today" and a big wink. :-(

Elysant
Sorry, I don't mean to sound snotty, but it was very discouraging.