SC - Eternal soup pots

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 1 09:13:42 PST 2000

>Well now, here's the question.  This is something I had in mind to do
>as soon as I got the idea of having a cooking fire, but the way the fire
>safety rules seem to wave, someone would have to be awake at all times
>to keep an eye on it.  How does this work?  Do the places that arrange
>this just have enough night owls who can stay up and watch the fire?

Vika, you can't cook with an open flame unless you're using a reflector
arrangement of some kind (rocks, foil, heralds) to deflect
and redirect the heat of the fire to cook your food.  Very little control of
the heat with that method.  You want to cook OVER coals  of a burnt down
fire instead of flames or you'll be scraping carbon from the inside and
outside of your pan and warp it to boot.

The amount of ash on the coals will regulate the heat for you.

Cadoc
Cadoc MacDairi, Mountain Confederation, ACG

"It seems three years or maybe more
Someone drops dead whom I adore
You love someone, there will be grief
The kiss of death, lips of a thief..."

  "Everyone I Love is Dead" -- Type O Negative