SC - Vyaunde de Cyprys in Lent (was: Seven Centuries of English Cooking)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Feb 1 17:57:48 PST 2000

At 3:40 PM -0500 1/25/00, Aldyth at aol.com wrote:
>...Two recipes caught my eye.  One was "Crab
>and Salmon Mould" which is taken from _Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery Books_
>the recipe reads "Vyaunde de Cyprys in Lent".  It bears little resemblance to
>Cindy Renfrows interpretation, believe me.  I would be glad to post all three
>recipes if you want.  I don't even see how Maxime's recipe would result in a
>molded thing.

Here is our version of this recipe from the Miscellany.

Vyaunde de Cyprys in Lent
  Two Fifteenth Century p. 28/57

Take good thick milk of almonds, and do it on a pot; nym the flesh of
good crabs, and good salmon, and bray it small, and temper it up with
the foresaid milk; boil it, and lye it with flour of rice or
amyndoun, and make it chargeaunt; when it is yboiled, do thereto
white sugar, a gode quantitie of white vernage pimes [apparently a
wine like muscadine] with the wine, pomegranate. When it is ydressed,
strew above the grains of pomegranate.

almond milk: (see p. 7)	7 oz salmon	4 t Rhine wine
	2 oz blanched almonds	2 T rice flour	2 T pomegranate juice
	1 c water	3 T sugar	pomegranate seeds
7 oz crabmeat

Make almond milk. Remove skin and bones from salmon, cut salmon and
crab into cubes and shred with French chef's knife. Mix fish and
almond milk and cook over medium heat; add sugar, wine, and
pomegranate juice after 5 minutes; add rice flour after 11 minutes,
cook, stirring, another minute, remove from heat and keep stirring
another half minute. Garnish with pomegranate seeds.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University