SC - Welser's gravy

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Feb 2 16:25:29 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/2/00 11:58:27 AM Eastern Standard Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

<<  Sabina Welserin's cookbook is
 from 1553, some hundred years earlier, putting it arguably in the late
 Middle Ages but definitely in the SCA period.  >>

Agreed but does this allow us to use such a technique for pre-1450s cuisine?
It is my understanding through personal research that cookery took a drastic
change after that date with regard to both techniques and seasoning. With
each successive rebellious generation destroying the royally and nobility
plus the added influence of New World foods, more and more elements of
'common' or 'peasant' cookery crept into what is now considered classical
cuisine. Such a course resulted in the almost complete eradication of
medieval cookery other than rare instances such as the retention of forcemeat.

I realize that the entire history of cookery as we know it today is a subject
that would take hundreds of volumes to document completely but am I in the
ballpark with these observations?