SC - Interesting Period Gadget for washing hands

Lorix lorix at trump.net.au
Wed Feb 2 13:32:01 PST 2000

I have a very big failing, I Luuuuuuv gadgets.
Now my eye was caught by a particularly impressive
mid 16th Century doodad for the washing of hands.

The picture was in a book by Alison Sim (Food &
Feast in Tudor England).  Basically the major form
of it was similar to a modern toy railway engine,
only this little beauty looked to be made out of
gold.  In its middle was placed a small rounded
barrel with a spigot (smaller scale, but like the
wooden barrels that wine is aged in).

According to the accompanying text, the internal
mechanism was still in perfect working order and
it was supposed to roll slowly down the feasting
table oozing droplets of rosewater so that people
could clean their hands.

It was extremely decorative & I thought it was
rather nifty.  However my husband, a man of
infinite patience with my whims, has refused to
even contemplate the idea of making it.  So I
thought there might be someone out there of an
engineering bent who might like to try it.  It
would certainly liven up high table, think of the
disastrous possibilities that could occur with
ummm inept engineering ;-)

Lorix