SC - Suet Pastry recipe request

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Feb 4 23:49:01 PST 2000

Linda Taylor wrote:

> >From: Christina Nevin <cnevin at caci.co.uk>
> Subject: SC - Suet Pastry recipe request
> >Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 15:45:50 -0000
> >
> >So, does anyone out there have a good recipe for suet pastry?
> >Or any other pastry for making standing pies?
> >
> >Al Servizio Vostro, e del Sogno
> >Lucretzia
>
> I got my pastry recipe from _Traditional Cooking_ by Caroline Conran, from
> her recipe for "An English Game Pie" (since it is a British publication on
> British food, your local library might even have it). I have used the pastry
> several times with good results, though I must admit I have chickened out
> and used a springform pan around it, as she does. Fortunately for us
> Americans, she gives U.S. measures too.
>
> Hot Water Pastry Crust
>
> 225g (8oz) Lard
> 275ml (1/2 pint/1C) Water
> 675g (1-1/2lbs) Flour
> 1 tsp Salt

My crust recipe is also hot water- I got it from my Grandma Remley, nee
Perkins, who was raised in Missouri. Where she got it, I don't know. If
you make it thick (3/16-1/4" or so) it's pretty strong. It calls for
shortening, but I have used butter successfully (have to omit the salt
if you use salted butter) and lard (but I don't care for the taste).

2/3 c. shortening
1/3 c. boiling water
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. flour

Makes 2 regular-sized crusts, or one dozen muffin-sized tarts. Of half
of a pastry castle.

Don't expect flakiness with this pastry- it's very 'short'.

It tends to get kinda stretchy/chewy, which is good for a strong crust.

trying to figure out what to wear Monday (it's official- my doctor said
I've lost 20 lbs in the past year!) and trying NOT to think too hard
about pastry...

'Lainie