SC - Apicius and Platina

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Feb 6 11:04:59 PST 2000

Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> hey all from Anne-Marie
> Adamantius sez re: Aldyths questions:
> >After a brief look at my keyboard for possible logical explanations, I
> >respectfully submit that "far" is a typo and that "fat" is meant. A
> >quick dive into the Millham Platina seems to support this...
>
> the same could be said for "lazer foot". Lazer "root" is the root of
> laser, a plant used by Romans in cooking, which I believe is now exctinct?
>
> dang translations! would that we all could read the original
> latin/french/etc :)!

Agreed. My suspicion, though, is that we may be dealing with something
akin to the typed-in recipes posted on the list, with or without the
civilizing influence of Ras's spell-checker ;  ). But really, this has
the look of a very simple hit-the-wrong-key typo that most editors of
professionally published sources would catch. Not that they don't make
the occasional whopper...

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy