SC - Old Wives Cleaning

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Feb 6 11:11:48 PST 2000

Branwen wrote:

> > I'm pretty sure there's a secondary reference to ashes being used to
> > clean wooden and earthenware containers in Henisch's "Fast and Feast";
> > this would make sense since ashes would serve as a _mildly_ caustic
> > alkaline "soap", as well as a mild abrasive, similar in many respects to
> > something like Comet or other abrasive cleansers. Besides, they were free.
>
> Well, the ash itself wouldn't be soap, but should it combine with any fats
> on the containers, soap would form. Potash is formed from ash, and potash is
> a form of lye, which is used in things like drain and oven cleaners
> nowadays.

My reference was not meant literally, hence the quotes. But you're
right, no actual saponification takes place in the manufacture or use of
the ashes, except by accident in a greasy pot. Perhaps I should have
chosen another keyword.

Adamantius, who has never made soap, but who has dripped potash solution
for lutefisk
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com