SC - Re:New World Foods-list penguins are period

Jeff Gedney JGedney at dictaphone.com
Fri Feb 11 07:50:17 PST 2000

> I would sit down and eat
> a dish of mackerel before I would eat penguin from the descriptions that
> exist of the bird. BTW, almost all shore birds taste of fishiness more than
> fowl. Some (and I won't go into details) are so bad that poorly prepared cat
> food would be a gourmet treat in comparison.

You know, Ras...
After three months of weevily biscuit, rancid salt beef (which was often more
suited to stopping a leak than eating -- and there are several wrecks with as
yet uneaten salt beef caulked between hull planks tha hve been found in the
Caribbean dating from the 1500's)  and salt cod dried so hard it has to be beaten
with a mallett or a chunk of wood for a half an hour before it will even take on water
in the cook pot, I think _any_ fresh meat, regardless of "fishiness", would seem
like a feast!
They probably ate the penguin with a smile. It would have been hard to
keep them from eating it raw, I should think!

As for smell, the the crew slept in the same room as the pump well, and they
had the bilges for a constant perfume. I do not think a fishy odor would have
been so much of a problem for them!!

brandu