SC - Re: New World Foods: Rant/ Counter Rant (Long)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Feb 12 09:07:42 PST 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Now salt cod (and other dried or cured fish) is expensive here at
> about $6 to $8 for one pound in a cheap, but cute, wooden box. In what
> other areas is it available and what are the prices?

I seem to recall seeing salt cod (which most often come in 1-pound
chunks in a plastic bag or a styrofoam meat tray) at around $4 per
pound. It's worth considering, though, that salt cod, when soaked,
translates to 2-3 times as much per weight in fresh cod, both from an
increase in mass in reconstitution, and the fact that it is more
powerfully flavored than fresh cod, so most ordinary people (i.e. not
me) eat somewhat less of it.

Air-dried cod or pollack, which I sometimes see in Asian markets, works
out to about $4/lb, too, but reconstitutes to about 4 times its original
weight. It also is generally in the form of skinless, boneless, fillets,
so there's little or no waste.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy