SC - Re: New World Foods: Rant/ Counter Rant (Long)

Christi Rigby christirigby at pcisys.net
Sat Feb 12 09:31:30 PST 2000

Adamantius wrote:

I seem to recall seeing salt cod (which most often come in 1-pound
chunks in a plastic bag or a styrofoam meat tray) at around $4 per
pound. It's worth considering, though, that salt cod, when soaked,
translates to 2-3 times as much per weight in fresh cod, both from an
increase in mass in reconstitution, and the fact that it is more
powerfully flavored than fresh cod, so most ordinary people (i.e. not
me) eat somewhat less of it.

When you soak your salt cod do you soak it in milk or water?  I have heard
milk takes the saltiness out better and adds a bit to the fish when
reconstituted.

Murkial