SC - Bread things

Tue Feb 15 12:38:00 PST 2000

Ahhh, now the question is what do you mean by cinnamon rolls?  If you are
after the ones similar to a glazed doughnut, this recipe won't cut it.  This
recipe will produce a bread-like roll.  If you shortened the dough enough
and under cooked the rolls, you might get something which resembles a Rainbo
or Dolly Madison cinnamon roll.

This is an enriched dessert dough, so it will be sticky.  You can tell it is
enriched because you use milk rather than water and you add eggs and sugar.

With 4 cups of flour (about 20 ounces), you need about 1 1/2 cups milk,
maybe a little less if you add butter or oil.

The yeast (1 package) should have been dissolved in about 2 Tablespoons of
water.  The milk should have been warmed, then allowed to cool to below 90
F.

Add the sugar and spices to the milk, mix well, then add the yeast mixture.
Slowly stir a couple cups of flour onto the milk.  Add 4 Tablespoons of
butter at room temperature (this will help shorten the dough and improve the
flavor.  I prefer butter to oil.)  Stir in.  The dough should look yellow.

Continue adding flour slowly, until the dough begins to ball.  Turn out on a
well floured surface and knead lightly.  The dough will be very sticky and
will need to be sprinkled with flour as you work it.  The more you work the
dough, the more bread-like it will become.  The bread will still be sticky
but it shouldn't cling to your hand.  The surface should just be starting to
smooth.  Place in an oiled bowl, cover, and let stand for about 2 hours.
Don't worry too much about a visible rise, as this is a heavily shortened
dough.

Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface.  Brush with melted butter.
Spread filling ( like a dust of cinnamon and nutmeg, followed by dark brown
sugar and fruit).  The less liquid the filling, the better.  Roll up.  Cut
rolls from the loaf and place in a greased baking tray.  I would probably
use grease baker's parchment to line the pan, but that is more of a
preference than a necessity.  Brush rolls with melted butter.  Bake at 350 F
for about 30 minutes or unil done.  Remove, cool on racks, and glaze with
confectioner's sugar and water icing.

I would say you used too much yeast and too much flour.  And I would
certainly put a thermometer in that oven.  I think your temperature was more
than you thought it was.

Bear