SC - A funny thing happened to me in the cooking store....

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Wed Feb 16 14:36:59 PST 2000

Was written:

So here I am, armload of rolling pins over at the
>cashier's countertop, rolling them along the top, checking for
>roundness. And it seems so normal and obvious.
>
>So, what do the other kids do for fun? :)

Quite a few years back I used to merchant at events.  I had a wholesale
supplier for "middle eastern" dance belts.  These belts were made in
Pakistan or India and were of variable quality.  I would grade out the
keepers and select from that group based on sound.  Picture it, an otherwise
normal looking WASP male holding individual shiny silver belts to his ear
shaking them and putting the result in one of various piles.  Finally the
owner or perhaps the owner's wife, a sweet older oriental lady, comes up and
in rather strained English politely asks "Why you do that?"  I said, Do
What?" as I held another belt to my ear and shook it.  "That?" she said.  I
replied, "To hear the sound."  "Why?" she said.  I replied "Some have
prettier sound than others".  I swear that as she walked away shaking her
head I heard her exclaim "and they say we are inscrutable."

Daniel Raoul formerly called "the noisy merchant" on occasion at Pennsic.