SC - Harrumph!!

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Feb 16 18:15:55 PST 2000

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> --- "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at efn.org> wrote:
>
> > And for food content- since the mention was amde of
> > strawberry seasons-
> > here in the Willamette Valley, strawberries ripen
> > locally in early June.
> > Anything coming in before then comes from
> > California, and we know Oregon
> > berries are yummiest.
>
> No, we do not!!! That is just your opinion.  While I
> will concede that Oregon blueberries are the biggest
> around, the rest becomes a matter of opinion.  Please
> let's not turn this into a chauvinistic diatribe.
> Strawberries are yummy no matter where they are grown.
> Oregon's are no better than anyplace else's.
>
> HARRUMPH!!!

Ouch! No chauvinistic or offense meant- a pronoun problem, perhaps, in
that I did not make clear that is how _Oregonians_ feel about their
berries.

Oregon strawberries tend to be smaller, red all the way through, with
more concentrated flavour. California berries (which are available in
stores even now! How?) tend to be quite large, white-centered, with a
lighter taste. One of the other may be more appropriate depending on
what you are planning to make of them.

Is that better? :-)

'Lainie
who believes that berries are best at a mid-summer event, with a camp
full of friends, some pound cake, and several canisters of whipped cream
(which leaves grease stains in silk veils, incidentally), OR in private,
with creme fraiche, some chocolate, good champagne, and a green-eyed
herald who knows how to pour the bubbly...