SC - Buckwheat is Old World

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Feb 17 04:15:01 PST 2000

"James F. Johnson" wrote:

> Not a solid reference, but Encyclopaedia Britannica states buckwheat is
> 'believed to have originated in China' in it's Buckwheat entry. (I just
> tend to doubt EB would be off by a continent or two...). Tends to like
> cooler climes, too. And in the same family with rhubarb, sea grape, and
> common sorrel/dock.

Quite possible. The trouble is that one can't automatically translate
"kasha" as buckwheat groats, any more than "frumenty" automatically
means wheat. It is suggested by the translator and editor (well, one of
them) of the Domestroi that the kasha in the text is probably barley,
and not cooked with the whole egg-coated pilaffy thing commonly
associated with buckwheat kasha. Not directly related points, I know,
but... .

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy