SC - selecting fruits and vegetables

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Feb 18 05:04:37 PST 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Nope. Kind of  a rough texture, greyish-brown in color.Dark red
> inside.

It's been years since I've seen one of these on the hoof, so bear with
me: any chnce this was a black radish?

> I'm even less fond of beets than I am of turnips. I went back to the
> store later and got turnips. Different store - better labels.

Beets are wonderful, beets are kewl
If ya don't like beets you muss be a fewl!

Ahem. Sorry, I think 'Lainie has been a bad influence! I _mean_, perhaps
you haven't run across a presentation of beets that was to your liking.
One of the better forms for the vegetable-impaired was the beet fries I
recall making _somewhere_, on some job or other, which involved julienne
of raw beets rolled in cornstarch, shaken in a sieve to remove excess
starch, and deep-fried. And salted. They turned out an astonishing
hot-pink color, were crunchy like those commercial potato sticks, and
tasted like, well, like beets, with a characteristic nutty sweetness.

> The turnips went into the compost/compote which went over fairly
> well at my Crown Luncheon. I still have about half a crock full
> though. I did take it to a recent family dinner where some folks
> liked it. Since it is a pickled food item, it should still be good
> for a while.

I have some of the compost I made for Northern Lights in 1995 or 1996
that appears to still be good. It kept for quite a while sealed in a
canning jar, and then, after opening, has been in the fridge for longer
than I'd care to speculate. Anyway, it appears intact, and, if you like
this particular dish, then it's still apparently good. Tastes about the
same as always and hasn't made anybody sick. I'm running low, though:
perhaps I should make another five-year supply!

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com