SC - selecting fruits and vegetables

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Feb 18 21:27:27 PST 2000

Adamantius replied to me:
> Stefan li Rous wrote:
> > Nope. Kind of  a rough texture, greyish-brown in color.Dark red
> > inside.
>
> It's been years since I've seen one of these on the hoof, so bear with
> me: any chnce this was a black radish?

I'm the guy who can't tell the differance between a turnip and a beet,
remember? And you are asking me if it could be a black radish? I have
no idea.

> > The turnips went into the compost/compote which went over fairly
> > well at my Crown Luncheon. I still have about half a crock full
> > though. I did take it to a recent family dinner where some folks
> > liked it. Since it is a pickled food item, it should still be good
> > for a while.
>
> I have some of the compost I made for Northern Lights in 1995 or 1996
> that appears to still be good. It kept for quite a while sealed in a
> canning jar, and then, after opening, has been in the fridge for longer
> than I'd care to speculate. Anyway, it appears intact, and, if you like
> this particular dish, then it's still apparently good. Tastes about the
> same as always and hasn't made anybody sick. I'm running low, though:
> perhaps I should make another five-year supply!
>
> Adamantius

Yes, you mentioned semi-canning the compost and keeping it in the
refrigerator in your message I saved in the compost-msg file. However,
as I was making this only three weeks or so ahead of when I was going
to use it, I have done neither. It is pickled after all. I did buy a
nice ceramic crock for it with a seal around the top, but it has not
been hermetically sealed. For one thing, I did the period thing and
added
more fruit and vegetables as I found more. Just adding more of the wine,
vinegar and seasonings to keep the liquid level above the chopped
up fruit and vegetables. I salted each batch overnight before adding
it to the crock.

I've not eaten that much of it, myself. I'm not fond of most of the
ingredients. Hopefully this is like your(?), Ras'(?) ability to make
a good potato salad(?) even if you can't/won't eat it.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net