SC - Pickled Onions and Eggs - Recipes please

The Cheshire Cat cheshire at southcom.com.au
Sat Feb 19 01:17:18 PST 2000

I don't know about pickled onions, but I have a recipe for pickled shallots
which I am assuming would be similar in techniqe and possibly the same
technique and recipe could be used. I'd recommend small onions.  They taste
fabulous with the spices.

First of all the spiced vinegar:

30g peppercorns
10g blade mace
10g cloves
6 bay leaves
15g crushed fresh ginger
2.5 tsp mustard seeds
10g whole allspice
10g cinnamon stick
2 tsp celery seed
1 Tbs salt
4C malt vinegar

Mix all the spices and salt together in a saucepan and add .5C of the
vinegar.  Bring to the boil.  Boil for two minutes.  Add the rest of the
vinegar and boil for another three minutes then strain and cool.  Make more
than this, you will need it.

Pickled Shallots:

1kg shallots
3 Tbs coarse salt
5 cups of the spiced vinegar

Peel the shallots and stand them in a shallow dish.  Sprinkle with the salt
and stand them overnight.
Put the shallots in a colander and allow to drain thoroghly.
Pack them into jars, arranging so there are no large spaces and fill the
jars with the vinegar making sure there is at least 1cm of the vinegar
covering the top of the shallots.
Put two layers of greaseproof paper and then one layer of aluminium foil on
top of the jars and tie securely.
Keep for four weeks before using.

Sweet Pickled Shallots

1kg shallots
2l water
1.5C coarse salt
5 cups spiced vinegar
1/2C sugar

Peel the shallots
Boil the water with the salt and allow to cool.
Pour half the brine over the shallots and allow to stand for two days.  Drain
Pour on the remaining brine and allow to stand for two more days.
Drain and rinse the shallots
Put the shallots in a saucepan with the spiced vinegar and the sugar.
Bring to the boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes
Pour the shallots and the vinegar into jars
Cover with two layers of greaseproof and one layer of foil.  When cool tie
securely.
Keep for three weeks before serving.

Hope this helps
- -Katerine