SC - selecting fruits and vegetables

Tim & Dee timdee at sgi.net
Sat Feb 19 04:06:26 PST 2000

Greetings to the list and to Lord Stefan.

In my youth working for different family members in either the
greenhouse/farm market or at the large roadside stand.  We usually rotate
our stock down the oldest out in front. This is also the reason that super
markets have sloped displays .Right after high school I worked for a large
super market in the pittsburgh area and this is also how they rotated our
produce. We would cull out any blemished or bad produce daily and either
throw it out or depending on the product rewrap it and put it on a reduced
rack. Knowing how long you will be keeping the produce and what it is to be
used for will effect the degree of ripeness that you buy them at. In example
apples if being used for pies or sauce they can be prepared and canned or
frozen until they are needed . If they are to be served fresh the time of
the year and space or room you have to store them will dictate as to when
you should buy them and this goes for most any produce.  Another way is to
read the descriptions on or in seed packets/catalogs as to what ready to use
produce should look  be like.  If all else fails ask your mom, grandma,
aunts who are good cooks and shoppers.

Hope this helps

In service to the dream ,

Laochlain Silverwolfe,  Member of House Firebrand, Shire of SunderOak,
Kingdom of Aethelmearc