SC - selecting fruits and vegetables

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sun Feb 20 02:18:42 PST 2000

"lainie says:
>Personallament, I prefer the 'sparagus that is 1/2-5/8" thick. It seems
>(IMHO) to have better developed flavor that the pencil stuff. But fatter
>is woody and tends to be dry. Takes all kinds, I suppose.
>
>I also store it standing upin a shallow dish of water. Does anyone else
>do this?

I do, it keeps it fresher (like cut flowers). On the counter, not in the
fridge. I learned it from the nice produce man at Ballard market...that's
how they sell it in the store.

- --AM, who has had asparagus two nights in a row now. yum yum yum! once with
sauce robert and once with brown butter and mizithra pasta (hey its what I
had in the house...)