SC - quail eggs

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Feb 20 22:01:12 PST 2000

Glenda said:
> (And to answer my own question about the quail eggs - from what I found
> somewhere obscure on the net, you can plunge them straight into boiling
> water for 3 minutes - that's the only one I've found as yet. Hope it works,
> as I scared up 2 doz. of them for a part of a Roman entree - I'll sacrifice
> one as an experiment first!)

There are several messages about quail eggs in this file in the FOOD section
of my Florilegium file:
eggs-msg         (112K) 12/17/99    Egg storage. Recipes. Substitutions.

There is this snippet about quail eggs:
A friend found them in the food coop in Eugene on the way back from an
event in southern Oregon.  I just boiled them like chicken eggs.  they
taste very good, better than chicken eggs.  They are much smaller and the
shells are mottled. Inside they look much like chicken eggs.

And this recipe:
> Soupe en moustarde
> (Le Viandier de Taillevent, ed. Scully, Biblioteque Nationale de France, 150)
>
> Prennés des oeufs pochiés en huille tous entiers sans esquaille, puis
> prennés d'icelle huille, du vin, de l'eau, de oingnons fris en huille,
> boullés tout ensemble; prennés lèches de pain halé sur le gril, puis en
> faites morssiaux quarrés, et metés boulir aveques; puis hastés vostre
> boullon, et ressuiés vostre soupe; puis la verssés en un plat; puis de la
> moustarde dedans vostre boullon, et la boullir; puis metés vos souppes en
> vos escuelles, et metés dessus.

the message talks about both chicken and quail eggs, so I can't tell if
this is for quail eggs. There is no English translation with it. Is
"esquaille" quail?

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net