SC - Pork or Boar in the Holy Land

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Feb 21 06:17:51 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/20/2000 9:26:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dcushenan at bfree.on.ca writes:

<< I want to serve pork but am unable to find a source that is was available.
I fond earlier references to it in the fourth century but not the twelfth can
someone help. >>

Well, it's not the Holy Land, but Alexander Neckam gives a recipe of sorts
for pork in his 12th century travelogue of London and Paris.  He says, "A
roast of pork is prepared diligently on a grid, frequently basted, and laid
on the grid just as the hot coals cease to smoke. Let condiment be avoided
other than pure salt or a simple garlic sauce."   (Daily Living in the
Twelfth Century: Based on the Observations of Alexander Neckam in London and
Paris, Urban Tigner Holmes, Jr., 1952).

Brangwayna Morgan