SC - Suggestions for a mushroom dish?

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Feb 22 10:13:06 PST 2000

Well, if they can eat fava beans, I've got a nice recipe for a little
tartlet -- it's just out of period (1614).  Personally, I think this
stuff looks and smells hideous, but my husband, who ordinarily won't eat
beans at all, kept raiding my kitchen for while I was testing this
recipe. Original is from  The Fruit, Herbs and Vegetables of Italy by
Giacomo Castelvetro,1614, trans
lated by Gillian Riley:

Favetta
Here is another recipe, which is somewhat more refined than the other
two. Cook the beans in water with salt, and put them in a stone mortar
with a little of their cooking liquid, and pound them with a wooden
pestle until they are white as snow.  Serve this favetta hot with olive
oil, pepper and clean, washed raisins.  Some use cinnamon as a seasoning
instead of pepper.

1 can Fava beans
Fresh noodle or pastry dough
1/4 cup raisins + some more
pepper, cinnamon to taste
Olive oil
salt
1 Tbsp honey or to taste

Cook fava beans in water with salt until soft.  Pound them into a paste
with a little of the cooking water "until white as snow". Stir in
raisins, spices, honey, and 2 Tbsp olive oil. Take pastry or noodle
dough, and cut out rounds.  Put a spoonful of puree on each round, add a
few more raisins,  fold and seal. To cook, heat olive oil in frying pan.
 Fry on both sides until cooked, drain, sprinkle with sugar, and serve.
One can of beans makes enough 20

toodles, margaret