SC - Apicius

Thomas Gloning gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Tue Feb 22 15:40:34 PST 2000

<< I have to ask how you manage to gain access to so many Apicius texts?
Do you have a private or public library at your disposal? >>

Both. The ones I quoted I bought in bookstores or at antiquarian
booksellers. I love(d) to stroll around in antiquarian bookstores for
some years and now and then I found something interesting. In my earlier
years I followed a maxim that can be traced to the 16th century humanist
Erasmus of Rotterdam; it goes something like this:
   "In the first place buy important books. If there is anything left,
    you can buy clothes and food."
(Not a good quotation for a cooks' list, agreed...)

Really important are the critical editions of M.E. Milham (1969) and J.
André (1965). Forget about the Schuch-edition. The Latin-German edition
of Maier is still available for 12 DM (~ 6 $ or so). -- A single public
library usually is not very good in cookbooks. But using the new
electronic catalogues one is able to locate copies of rare items and
then to order microfilms or microfilm reproductions (try
http://copac.ac.uk, for example, or the "Karlsruher Verbundkatalog",
available via most websites of German University libraries).

<< If it's public source, where? >>

I live in Germany. But I am quite sure that, e.g., the Milham edition is
in many libraries in the US too, because this edition is part of a very
famous book series, the "Bibliotheca Scriptorum Graecorum et Romanorum
Teubneriana" (Library of Greek and Roman authors published by Teubner).
The book is all in Latin, even the short introduction! But for all
questions of textual variation and uncertainty, the apparatus criticus
of this edition is most important.

<< spent hours at libraries trying to obtain articles, and other texts
by inter library loan and have ended up being told what I want is not
available. >>

Yes, I know this sad experience very well. Happyly, the more important
Apicius books are not THAT rare (but anyway: let me know, if I can do
something for you). At present, I am hunting a very rare catalonian
item:
   Llibre del coc de la canonja de Tarragona.
   Ed. Mossén Joan Serra i Vilaro. Barcelona 1935.
This one was printed in _105_ copies in 1935 in Catalunya ... Sigh.

I think, we must work on producing digital versions of interesting
texts, to be disseminated via the internet. Each in her or his field.
Thus, German cookbooks being my main field of study, I am preparing new
Rumpolt chapters, Gwen Cat keyed in, for the website at present.

The electronic Apicius text of the Milham edition is available from the
Oxford Text Archive. Good thing! But, alas!, the web version does not
include the apparatus criticus. Which makes me think and leads me to the
statements:
   -- "Books are still important"
   -- "Once the important _texts_ are available via the internet,
       we must also think of providing the more sophisticated parts
       of what formerly was part of a printed edition (apparatus
       criticus, explanatory notes, glossaries, etc.)"

So much work to do. Back to Rumpolt...

Best,
Thomas
(a lover of - among other things - books and electronic texts;
I am currently working on a more systematic version of my chaotic
bibliography too; here is the passage about Apicius. PLEASE SHARE ANY
ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS WITH ME!)

A-APIC || The Apicius cookbook: Sources and studies

Alföldi-Rosenbaum, E. (Hg.): Das Kochbuch der Römer. Rezepte aus der
"Kochkunst" des Apicius. Eingeleitet, übersetzt und erläutert von E.
Alföldi-Rosenbaum. Zürich/ München 1970 (Neunte Auflage 1989).

André, J.: Apicius. L'art culinaire, De re coquinaria. Texte établi,
traduit et commenté par J. André. Paris 1965.

André, J.: L'alimentation et la cuisine à Rome. Deuxième edition. Paris
1981.

André, J.: Essen und Trinken im alten Rom. Stuttgart 1998.

Apicii decem libri qui dicuntur De re coquinaria et Excerpta a vinidario
conscripta. Edidit M.E. Milham. Leipzig (Teubner) 1969. -- Mentions the
other publications on Apicius of M.E. Milham and others in the
bibliography too!

Apicius. Apici Caeli de re coquinaria libri decem. Novem codicum ope
adiutus auxit, restituit, emendavit et correxit, variarum lectionum
parte potissima ornavit, strictim et interim explanavit Chr. Theophil.
Schuch. Editio secunda. Heidelbergae 1874.

Apicius, Marcus Gavius: De re coquinaria. Über die Kochkunst.
Lateinisch/ Deutsch. Hg., übersetzt und kommentiert von R. Maier.
Stuttgart 1991.

Apicius: Apicii Coelii De opsoniis et condimentis, sive Arte coquinaria,
libri decem. Cum annotationibus Martini Lister et notis selectioribus,
variisque lectionibus integris, Humelbergii. London 1705. (more
important: the second, enlarged edition 1709.)

Bode, M.: Apicius. Anmerkungen zum römischen Kochbuch. Das Kochbuch als
Quelle zur Wirtschafts- und Sozialgeschichte. St. Katharinen 1999.

Brandt, E.: Untersuchungen zum römischen Kochbuche. Versuch einer Lösung
der Apicius-Frage. Leipzig 1927 (Philologus, Supplementband 19/3).

Concordantia Apiciana. A concordance to Apicius' »De re coquinaria« and
»Excerpta a vinidario« with an analysis of the lexicon by A. Urbán.
Hildesheim/ Zürich/ New York 1995.

Dierbach, J.H.: Flora Apiciana. Ein Beitrag zur näheren Kenntnis der
Nahrungsmittel der alten Römer; mit besonderer Rücksicht auf die Bücher
des Caelius Apicius de opsoniis et condimentis sive de arte coquinaria.
Heidelberg/ Leipzig 1831.

Faltner, M. und G.: An der Tafel des Trimalchio. Antike Rezepte für den
heutigen Gebrauch. Ausprobiert und mit dem Urtext [Rezepte aus Apicius]
herausgegeben. Lateinisch-deutsch. München 1959.

Flower, B./ Rosenbaum, E.: The Roman cookery book. A critical
translation of The art of cooking by Apicius, for use in the study and
the kitchen. London 1958.

Gollmer, R. (Hg.): Das Apicius-Kochbuch aus der altrömischen Kaiserzeit.
Ins Deutsche übersetzt und mit einer Einleitung. Breslau/ Leipzig 1909.
Nachdruck Leipzig o.J. [um 1990].

Maier, R.: Nachwort, Anmerkungen, Glossar. In: Marcus Gavius Apicius, De
re coquinaria, Über die Kochkunst. Lateinisch/ Deutsch. Hg., übersetzt
und kommentiert von R. Maier. Stuttgart 1991.

Milham, M.E.: A preface to Apicius. In: Helikon 7 (1967) 195-204.

Peschke, H.-P. von/ Feldmann, W.: Kochen wie die alten Römer. 200
Rezepte nach Apicius, für die heutige Küche umgesetzt. Zürich 1995.