SC - Alcohol-OOP

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Feb 22 19:55:43 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/22/00 10:08:56 PM Eastern Standard Time, lcm at efn.org
writes:

<< Whoa... what current Aten policy? I don't think I've heard of it- is it
 for alcohol in feast recipes >>

This was very controversial a while back. The Corporate entity has since
rescinded the worst parts of the policy but apparently some kingdoms still
are into controlling their populations with ridiculous policies. It is not
wise spread. The current official SCA policy is no SCA funds may be used to
purchase alcohol as a beverage to be served at feast. Those funds may be used
to purchase alcohol as a recipe ingredient. Any other policies kingdoms may
have are a result of them over reacting to the original stink and not
rescinding their policies when the corporate entity did.

<<or for food in camp? >>

Unless the group specifically rents a site that has a mundane policy of no
alcohol, they cannot forbid alcohol use in a private camp at a site whose
mundane owners allows it. A camper is renting the land from the mundane
owners and not the SCA sponsoring group. The exception would be if a group
rented an entire camp and any camp fees were paid for by the group instead of
according to individual campers.

<<How far does this extend?>>

If it extends to one kingdom that is too far, IMO. :-)

 <<Is this a trend in other kingdoms?>>

No. However, there is a trend for modern sites to not allow alcohol, no pets
and many other absurd and intrusive rules.

<< 'Lainie