SC - War oven

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 24 06:22:11 PST 2000

>Andrea
> > Is there someone out there who can provide me information on how to
>build a
> > period oven  for war? I wanted to supplement my coal fire cooking with a
> > baking stint.
> > Any help would be appreciated!

I didn't see the original message in my daily barrage, but I caught this
one.  Best period oven I saw at Pennisc last year (not that I was searching
them out mind you) was in Eisental camp.  They had slabs of heat tolerant
stone arranged to the side of the fire with an air channel underneath.  Heat
was controlled by airflow and coals under the oven. You can use a meat
thermomenter to track the temp if need be. My friend Linda was busy baking
supper with it when I stopped by on a town run from my camp.

I was thinking of arranging a larger version in my camp this year for
general use.
You could use any igneous or metamorphic rock (granite, marble -- marble
would be best for the baking slab) but I would avoid sedimentiaries
(sandstone) because they tend to explode under higher heat. Rock is fairly
cheap, but heavy.

Was I any help?

Cadoc MacDairi
Cadoc MacDairi, Mountain Confederation, ACG

"Well, I know, that my world is coming down
But, I know, I'm the one who brought it down...."

           "World Coming Down" -- Type O Negative