SC - Distress in Trimaris

campcook at uswestmail.net campcook at uswestmail.net
Fri Feb 25 14:32:46 PST 2000

I am back from Estrella War where everything we ate was either
period or perioid.  So pardon me for being a bit late and perhaps
out of place.

<inject humor, sarcasm...>
The herald enters, "My lords and ladies, gentles all! -- the
feast is about to begin.  Before the first, remove their royal
majesties.  For the rest the meal will begin with..."
<end humor, sarcasm...>

I had the experience of the Queen removing herself from the high
table as we presented the third remove of a feast.  This remove
consisted of, among other things, a platter, born on the
shoulders of 2 knights.  On the platter was a nicely roasted pig,
upon which sat the duck that was cooked in the belly of
the pig.  Upon the duck sat a helm, in its wing a lance, on its
other wing a shield.  Around its neck a chain and around its
waist a white belt.  Around the pig were sprigs of fresh parsley.

Now the symbol of Tir Ysgithr is a boar (an important fact to
remember as we go on.) As we elegantly paraded this beauty around
the hall, it was announced that it was "a duck on a pigs back" or
"a boared knight". This of course received all of the groans and
cheers expected and was a wonderful success.

What perturbed me the most was that the queen left the hall and
I was told to hurry and dismantle the presentation so that she
could return.  Seems that this particular queen was "sensitive"
to seeing food served in its natural form.  Even to this day, I
still get upset about it when I think about it.  For me, it
ruined the entire spectacle that I had worked so hard to prepare.

The only reason that I bring this up, is that just because the
King and Queen don't like it, doesn't mean its wrong to do.  I
as head cook was in my full right to present the feast in a way
that was both pleasing to the eye as well as the pallet.  Would
I do it again were the same queen on the throne?  In a heartbeat,
if it fit within the theme.  The one mentioned was the argent
anniversary of our barony and an investiture to boot.

So I say, "King and Queen be damned, on with the Feasting!!!"

<large smile of content/contempt?>

- --
Ld. Steffan of the Close (The Camp Cook) Tir Ysgithr, Atenveldt
(Steven Cowley -- Tucson, Arizona)
Vert, three armored arms in triskellion, each maintaining a
spoon, argent, between three cooking pots Or
Signup for your free USWEST.mail Email account http://www.uswestmail.net