SC - Coffee, Tea, and OOP

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Feb 26 19:53:20 PST 2000

The fully caffeinated Anahita al-shazhiya asked:
> On another list in a thread on What Food to Bring to War (some folks
> here are on it too), someone asked if coffee was period.

<smip>

> Any comments? suggestions? sources? quotable anecdotes?

We have had numerous conversations here on coffee and teas. You might
want to check these files in the BEVERAGES section of my files for
some referances and comments:
coffee-msg        (81K)  2/15/00    Coffee and coffee-type drinks.
infusions-msg      (8K)  1/20/00    Period infusions. Herbal "teas".
Barley tea.
tea-msg            (7K)  9/15/98    Tea, cha. When it appeared in Europe.

I think your dates for the coffee (1450?) may be early, but there seems
to be
some disagreement, even on this list, on the exact dates.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net