SC - Re: peppermint rice

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Feb 26 21:13:46 PST 2000

> <<
>  Could this be a reference to tabbouli? It seems rice-like, and is oftenmade
> with peppermint.
>
> Maggie MacD. >>
>
> Could it be related to the filling used in dolmadakia (stuffed grape leaves?)
>
> Hauviette

We have discussed dolmadakia here before. Some of what was discussed is in
this file in my FOOD section:
grape-leaves-msg  (19K)  5/26/99    Use of grape leaves in cooking. Sources.

Unfortunately when this was discussed previously, no one was able to
point
to any evidence that this was indeed a period dish. Does anyone here now
have any?

As for the peppermint rice, I've searched the Florilegium and the closest
I could come up with (in the rice-grain-msg file) was jasmine rice with
no
sure evidence of that being period.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net