SC - Public Consumption [Was Distress in Trimaris]

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sat Feb 26 23:16:48 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/27/00 12:36:57 AM Eastern Standard Time, seumas at mind.net
writes:

<< I
 never said other arts were 'free,' I said they could be "appreciated for
 free."

 Seumas >>

Correct. However, a meal is analogous to a completed costume or whatever. A
feaster pays to participate in that experience. Anyone in the SCA can enjoy
the art of cookery for free. All they need to do is read the menu, read the
ingredients list, read the recipes. The can even enjoy watching others
participate in the feast and see the dishes in all their splendor, and smell
the smells for free.  If they want to 'participate' fully, they pay.

When a person comes to one of my feasts and pays for the PRIVILEGE of
participating in it fully, he/she does so with the full knowledge that he/she
is paying for full participation in my art form. They know in advance that
they are going to receive food which closely resembles medieval cookery so
far as I perceive it. And they know that if they don't want that experience
they should bring their own food. That goes for Queens, kings, princesses and
paupers. (Well, not paupers. I always feed any beggars that show up at the
back door and, well, beg.)

Anyway, no event is 'required' to serve a feast. If it is served it should be
done according to the same standards demanded of any other artisan in SCA.
Fighters eat my feasts and don't go away hungry. I don't prepare them for
fighters, I try to prepare them so they are fit for a King without exception.
I haven't achieved this theoretical perfection yet but the results of the
trying are encouraging and very edible.

There are many people on this list who have attended my feasts and I can
emphatically state that none of them, no matter what their preconceived
expectations were, went away hungry nor were they disappointed in the minimal
cost. A bargain is a bargain and it doesn't take a trained palette to realize
a bargain when they see one.

If it happens that someone expects cheeseburgers from Mc Slop then that is
where they should spend their money because they certainly will never find
anything remotely resembling that at one of my feasts...ever. Neither will
they find any sympathy from me because they have chosen to be food bores. And
that includes the Princess of Trimaris or any other royal who may gift me
with their presence.

BTW, I do make period food at demos and such occasionally available to the
public freely and out of my own pocket. I see nothing wrong with your
suggestion regarding samples, etc., although the logistics might be a
nightmare in itself.

No matter what way the art of cookery is presented in the SCA, it is a valid
occupation and any attempt to water it down or kowtow to the less informed or
selfish fussy minority of members is treachery to the craft, IMO.

Others may have a different viewpoint. The world would be a dull place if we
all agreed on everything.

Ras