SC - Period Pumpkin Recipes?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 27 02:49:39 PST 2000

Well, i've been in the SCA about 9 months and after looking over our
Kingdom A&S competitions, i've decided to enter a few (gulp).

At the Kingdom of the West October Crown, the Wooden Spoon
competition is for "a dish involving pumpkin". I know we've recently
discussed New vs. Old World foods. And, IIRC, pumpkins were New World.

Are there any authentic (obviously late) "period"recipes for pumpkin?
Should i just look for some sort of authentic squash or other
vegetable recipe and substitute pumpkin into it? Take a more recent
(say, 17th c.) recipe and make it "more period" (ugh)? Any other
suggestions? I'm quite happy to "redact" recipes myself, so pointers
to originals is fine. I have a modest collection of historical
cookbooks, but i sure don't recall any recipes for pumpkin.

Thanks in advance,

Anahita al-shazhiyya