SC - Is period cooking "different" from the other arts?

David & Sue Carter drcarter at bigpond.com
Mon Feb 28 02:08:53 PST 2000

Mordonna wrote:

snip
> What's different?
> The only thing I see different is that sometimes Society money is used for
> the up front purchasing of materials.  This kind of "sponsorship" is not
> often offered in the other arts, except that Calligraphers who are making
> official scrolls may have their supplies paid for by the Society funds.
> I even know of at least one event where the entire feast was paid for by
> Society funds.  SunDragon Barony's share of the volunteer funds from
Estrella
> XV were so great that the Baron and Baroness declared that the funds be
spent
> to offer a free feast for the populace at the Baronial Investiture last
fall.

> Does anyone know of this kind of thing happening in the other arts?
> Does any local group provide funds for making garb for newcomers, perhaps?
> Does any local group provide funds for making minimal armor or weaponry
for
> their fighters?

Here in the Barony of Innilgard we provide Baronial funds for the making of
newcomers loaner garb and loaner armor.  The group also owns a large amount
of other communal gear, including banners, candelabra, serving dishes, a
72foot marquee and a heap of other things, accumulated over nearly 14 years,
and mostly pre funded in some way by the group.

This is done so that a prospective member can have an SCA experience with
minimal outlay.
We also give three free copies of the local newsletter. After 3 months a
prospective member has usually tried enough and met enough people to have
the necessary affiliations for personal generosity/bartering to kick in.

If anyone wants something added to the communal possessions they have to
bring a proper costing to council meeting and depending on the amount, it
will get bugetted for/approved by either us and the Seneschal or (for big
things) taken to the opinion of the populace (from whom all money ultimately
comes)

We do not give people money for items that then become someones' personal
possession forever.  It is my understanding that that would come under the
mantle of an individual benefitting from society money (as opposed to
getting re-imbursed) and therefore not 'allowed'. This is a good rule if you
think of the potential problems with how to fairly decide who should get
what.

Autocrats gets Baronial cheques for hall/site hire, and feastocrats or their
cooks can get an advance for specific requirements off a submitted budget.

Esla
(Who serves the populce of Innilgard as their Territorial Baroness by the
Grace of the Crown of the West and the Coronet of Lochac)
mka Sue Carter