SC - No Period Feasts Allowed?

MPengwyn at aol.com MPengwyn at aol.com
Mon Feb 28 16:59:32 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/27/00 8:56:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
WOLFMOMSCA at aol.com writes:

<< Believe me, the education process has been going on for a long time here.
It is hampered by a significant lack of Laurels who happen to be cooks >>

There also seems to be great indifference among the members about Period
foods. I recently asked on the Trimaris list whether the prevailing
preference was for "just plain good food no matter whether it was period" or
"period food and hope it tasted good". I asked it because I am not originally
from Trimaris and was raised in a tradition of period food is good stuff if
it is well prepared. Having only attended 3 events in Trimaris and read
several feast menus, I was seeking for general information about just what
people EXPECT.

After two or three messages about how nasty meats were in period and that
everything was overspiced because it was rotten, the conversation devolved
into a discussion of potatoes being period for a day or so and then switched
entirely to an argument over the end date for the SCA's time frame and
whether or not a hue and cry should be sent up to change the dates. When I
attempted to bring the conversation back around by asking if several common -
in my experience foods were ever served in Trimaris, no one answered. (Those
being: STC, Urchouns, Normandy Tarts, Macros, and two others that escape me
now.) There was no hint of familiarity with the various foods mentioned nor
even a question of "what the heck is that and does it taste good?"

And now this request from the incipient Crown regarding no period feasts.
Very disheartening...

I would love to cook a decent, tasty, and entirely edible Period feast in
Trimaris, but it would appear that at least until next Fall, a snowball
stands a better chance in Florida..

In Service,

Meghan