SC - Feasts in Trimaris

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Feb 29 15:02:25 PST 2000

At 1:50 PM -0500 2/29/00, Jehanne Argentee wrote:

>No, but we do use single elimination tourneys instead of double to cut down
>the time.

And single elimination tourneys are no less authentic than double
elimination tourneys--which isn't saying much.

>I am a cook myself. How does one define cooking a meal 'right'? To some
>gentles, it means producing an end product that people will eat with
>delight. To others, it is producing a meal close to period as possible,
>using means as close to period as possible. Others combine these two with
>varying degrees of sucess.

This assumes that the two are unrelated. But period cooks had to
please their employers, which required them to cook things that
people would like to eat. So far as I know, there is no evidence that
period tastes were radically different than modern tastes. So the
fact that something tastes bad is evidence--not proof, but
evidence--that the cook has done a bad job of interpeting the
original recipe.

>If a cook realizes that
>preparing a dessert with pepper will make it taste 'odd' or unpleasent to
>the modern palate, let them leave it out. We're talking about feast here,
>not ArtSci entries.

And it is that attitude which fuels the widespread hostility to
authenticity--the idea that the only reason to do things
authentically is to win a contest, probably in the hope of getting an
award.

Would you similarly argue that there is no reason to wear period
looking clothes rather than bluejeans and tshirts at the feast--since
we are talking about feast, not artsci entries?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/