SC - Feasts in Trimaris

Jehanne Argentee jehanne at netzero.net
Tue Feb 29 20:47:52 PST 2000

At 05:02 PM 2/29/00 -0600, david friedman wrote:
>At 1:50 PM -0500 2/29/00, Jehanne Argentee wrote:

*snip*

>>If a cook realizes that
>>preparing a dessert with pepper will make it taste 'odd' or unpleasent to
>>the modern palate, let them leave it out. We're talking about feast here,
>>not ArtSci entries.
>
>And it is that attitude which fuels the widespread hostility to
>authenticity--the idea that the only reason to do things
>authentically is to win a contest, probably in the hope of getting an
>award.
>
>Would you similarly argue that there is no reason to wear period
>looking clothes rather than bluejeans and tshirts at the feast--since
>we are talking about feast, not artsci entries?

>David/Cariadoc

No, but I would argue there is no reason not to wear cotton instead of
wool, because Florida is just too hot! I've been told that having Viking
garb in cotton isn't authentic... But it feels alot better to me. :) Then
again, I'm not entering my garb into ArtSci... I'm just trying for
something that looks alright while being comfy.

Similiarly, leaving pepper out of Leche Lumbard makes it taste better to
me, so I'll leave it out.

I'm not against ALL authenticity. But I'm not an Authenticity Mavin (mental
note to self: re-read that section of the Known World Handbook soon). My
mead tends to be more authentic than my cooking, but it varies. If I try a
period recipe, and think its perfect as is... that's how I use it. If I try
it, and decide that it would be better without a particular ingrediant, or
with a different method of preparing, I try that. It might not be as
authentic, but in a choice between a perfectly authentic recipe that my
boyfriend will merely eat (and the man will eat nearly anything, with two
exceptions) and an adjusted recipe that he gobbles down with delight and
asks for seconds.... I'll go with the adjusted.

Just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Jehanne