SC - Feasts in Trimaris

Jehanne Argentee jehanne at netzero.net
Tue Feb 29 23:22:43 PST 2000

At 10:21 PM 2/29/00 -0600, you wrote:
>At 11:47 PM -0500 2/29/00, Jehanne Argentee wrote:
>>At 05:02 PM 2/29/00 -0600, david friedman wrote:
>>  >At 1:50 PM -0500 2/29/00, Jehanne Argentee wrote:
>>
>>*snip*
>>
>>  >>If a cook realizes that
>>  >>preparing a dessert with pepper will make it taste 'odd' or
unpleasent to
>>  >>the modern palate, let them leave it out. We're talking about feast
here,
>>  >>not ArtSci entries.

>>  >Would you similarly argue that there is no reason to wear period
>>  >looking clothes rather than bluejeans and tshirts at the feast--since
>>  >we are talking about feast, not artsci entries?
>

>>No, but I would argue there is no reason not to wear cotton instead of
>>wool, because Florida is just too hot! I've been told that having Viking
>>garb in cotton isn't authentic... But it feels alot better to me. :) Then
>>again, I'm not entering my garb into ArtSci... I'm just trying for
>>something that looks alright while being comfy.
>
>So your position is that authenticity does matter in ordinary SCA
>activities, not just in contests, but only at a low level?

Only to the level of practicality, and comfort. Above that, I concider it
optional, and an individual choice.

>Once we
>get above that level, making things more authentic is only
>appropriate for contests?

No, it is only REQUIRED for contests.

>And you would actively discourage people
>from trying to figure out what clothing vikings would actually have
>worn in hot weather? (I don't think you  would, of course--my point
>is that that is what Her Highness is doing, in the case of cooking,
>and you are defending her).

*sigh* No, but if I was going to be having someone pay money sight-unseen
(and I rarely know a feast menu at the time when I send in the money) for a
collection of Viking Garb, I'd like the collection to have a wide variety
of sizes, cuts, and fabrics in hopes that something would fit and wear well
in this weather. If throwing in a couple of cotton T-tunics into the
collection would help guarentee that everyone who bought this grab-bag
would find something wearable, I wouldn't object.

>>Similiarly, leaving pepper out of Leche Lumbard makes it taste better to
>>me, so I'll leave it out.
>
>On page 35 of _Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books_ you will find a
>recipe for Leche lumbarde (v, not vi) that contains no pepper.

Hmmm... Don't have that cookbook. Another to add to my wish-list.

[Several good-points reluctantly snipped]

I can't say that her Highness's post was well-phrased. And I know when I
read it, I am reading into it what I know personally about a woman who has
been kind to me and likes good cooking. I am hoping that we might be able
to get some sort of explaination, elaboration, or apology as she feels
appropriate from her. No, I'm not going to tell her what to say or how to
say it, though I will discuss this issue in depth with her if she asks.

However, while the week or so it might take to filter all these emails
through Nik or I, get them to her Highness, get her reply back to one of
us, us send it to the Kingdom Webminister, and him get it up on the site,
goes by... People are saying things, post after post goes by... Some people
are sad, some angry, some rude, some upset, some try to make peace, while
others try to make snide remarks... and I just don't have it in me to sit,
silent and wait.

*mead request snipped until I can drag out my books & notes*

>David/Cariadoc

Jehanne