SC - 16th Century recipes a few questions. . .

Tue Feb 1 08:56:21 PST 2000

> --- "Decker, Terry D." <TerryD at Health.State.OK.US>
> wrote:
> > throne.  For their part in
> > this, the Welsers received a Venezuela and Colombia
> > as a herditary fief in
> > 1528, after Carlos captured Rome and the Pope.  The
> > monopoly was revoked in
> > 1546, a hard blow but not completely destructive.
>
> May I ask where you found this information?  This does
> not entirely jibe with what I have read.  From what I
> have read, it was the Ravenburg Company who bought the
> rights to exploit Venezuela from Spain.  Philipp von
> Hütton was the last German captain general for
> Venezuela.  In 1546, he and all his company were
> killed by the Spanish when the Spanish decided to
> renege on their arrangement.  My persona went with von
> Hütton to Venezuela.
>
> Huette

This is gleaned from a number of sources, primarily Braudel and a group of
brief biographical sketches of the Holy Roman Emperors.  My interest is in
the Augsburg banking empires and their operations.  The Welser monopoly is
usually found in the footnotes and is well known.

Since your interest is in the exploration, try:

http://www.lampeter.ac.uk/tairona/a4spanexpeds.html

which gives some interesting information about Federmann's explorations for
the Welsers.

Other than a reference in German:

http://worldroots.clicktron.com/brigitte/renz/renz2.htm

I have nothing on von Hutton or the Ravenburg Company.

I see no particular conflict between our facts.  Without knowing precisely
when the Welser monopoly was revoked and when the Ravenburg Company license
was issued, a conflict in the stories is indeterminate.  It could be that
the Ravenburg Company was operating under a license from the Welsers or
received the license from the Spanish Crown after the Welser monopoly had
been revoked.  As for reneging on the arrangement, I think the key may be
June 7.

Martin Luther died February 18.  The Pope and the Emperor came to an
agreement on June 7 to invade the German states, crush the Schmalkaldic
League, and end German Protestantism.  This led to a small war which was won
by the Emperor but was inconclusive in achieving the stated goals.  If von
Hutton and company were killed late in 1546,  it is very possible the
Spanish authorities in Venezuela viewed them as enemies and heretics due to
the war in the German states.

Bear