SC - "Rose Soda" and the evils of "documentation"

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Feb 2 06:44:41 PST 2000

At 12:03 AM -0500 2/2/00, LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

>Actually, the prohibition of al-Islam is 'that not one drop' of the fermented
>juice of the grape is to drank. It does not prohibit the drinking of any
>other fermented drinks and does not, technically, prohibit the drinking of
>the remaining drops of wine in a bottle.

I don't think it is that simple.

There are four different orthodox legal schools in Sunni Islam, and
each has its own interpretation of the prohibition. The most severe
bans drinking, in any quantity however small, anything that makes you
intoxicated, however much it takes to do so--a sort of Muslim
equivalent of the Delaney Amendment. The least severe bans the
drinking of wine--i.e. fermented grape juice--and bans getting drunk,
defined as so drunk that you cannot tell the earth from the sky or a
man from a woman.

My source for that summary is the Hattox book on the introduction of
coffee; he discusses the question because there was some dispute as
to whether coffee was covered by the ban. My impression is that he is
generally reliable, but I haven't researched the matter further.

Incidentally, I gather there is an exception for  date beer that has
fermented no more than three days.

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University