OOP: sourdough gingerbread ( was Re:private-Re: SC - Happy Groundhog Day!)

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed Feb 2 20:22:08 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 2 Feb 00,, that LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/2/00 10:23:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> harper at idt.net writes:
>
> << My date-nut bread was a late-night spectacular failure (scorched
>  without, raw within), so I whipped up a quick batch of sourdough
>  gingerbread. >>
>
> LOL! You think that is spectacular?

Well, I bake most of my own bread, and though in the past I had my
share of "doorstops", it's rare these days for me to go that far wrong.
My loaves may not be artisanal, but they're usually edible.

> Sourdough gingerbread? This sounds interesting..........:-)

It was tasty, though I'm not sure that I could really detect the sourdough
under all the spice and sweetness.  The recipe was out of "World
Sourdoughs from Antiquity" by Ed Wood, who is one of the leading
authorities on sourdough baking.  [I got my copy from Poison Pen
Press at Pennsic.]  The gingerbread uses active sourdough starter as
an ingredient, but gets most of its leavening from baking soda.

And to forstall the inevitable request, here is the recipe:

2 cups proofed sourdough starter (ie., fed, and left out for about 6-8
hours, or until bubbly
2 TBS melted butter
1 cup molasses
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 egg, beaten
2 TBS sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup white bread flour

Preheat oven to 350 F.  Butter and flour a 10-inch square pan (not
owning such a thing, I used a 9-inch round).

Place measured starter in large mixing bowl.  Add butter, molasses,
spices, egg, sugar and salt.  Mix well.  Add baking soda to the mixture
and stir.  Add flour and mix until smooth.

Pour into baking pan and bake 55-60 minutes, until gingerbread pulls
away from sides and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out
clean.

Cook in pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto a rack to finish cooling.

Misc. notes: I used all-purpose flour.  I only had 1/2 cup molasses in
the house.  Since it was nearly midnight, and I didn't want to drive to the
supermarket, I substituted 1/2 cup honey for the rest, and omitted the
sugar.  The end product tasted like a hybrid between traditional modern
gingerbread and a Jewish honey cake.  I think, in my tiredness, I
inadvertantly increased the baking soda to 1 tsp., which may explain
the texture, which was a trifle chewier than I expected.  Next time, I'll try
the recipe as written, just to see how it's different.

Oh, and the best source of sourdough info on the web (recipies, FAQs,
and where to get a starter) is at:
http://www.nyx.net/~dgreenw/sourdoughfaqs.html

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)