SC - medieval menu

Margo Farnsworth mfarnsworth at mfgraffix.com
Thu Feb 3 04:47:17 PST 2000

One of my favorites - Sops!  It's similar to French Onion Soup, only we make it
much thicker.  Here's a version I usually make when camping:

Sops (for 6 servings)
6 medium onions
4 tbs.. butter
4 c. vegetable broth (2 Knorr vegetarian bouillon cubes)
1 c. wine (either red or white, it's flexible)
Bread
Cheese (any kind you like) (optional)

Sauté the onions in butter until they are soft (even better if you let them
caramelize a bit!).  Pour in the broth and wine and simmer for at least 20
minutes.  Place hunks of bread in your eating bowl, and hunks of cheese
(optional) and spoon some of the onion mixture over.  The bread "sops" up the
juices.

I have also seen a version of this with leeks.  We have made it with beef
bouillon and without the wine or cheese.  It's really flexible, and hard to mess
up.  Yummy!

Faoiltighearna