SC - RE: Challah

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at aracnet.com
Mon Feb 7 12:08:03 PST 2000

Thank you for the recipe!  I have a Challah recipe also, that a friend who
used to live on a Kibutz shared with me.  I could post that here for others
to see how it compares to your (people on this list) more Medieval recipes?
 It turns out very well everyt ime I have made it, and is lightly sweet.

CHALLAH
2 T. yeast
2 c. warm water
2 to 3 rggs
1/4 to 1/2 c. honey (or sugar)
2 t. salt
2 T. butter or oil
7 to 8 c. flour (w/w works)
egg wash
sesame seeds (I never put these on because I don't like sesame seeds)

Dissolve yeast in water.  Add eggs, honey, salt, butter and about 3 1/2 c.
flour.  Beat well.  Add remaining flour to make a soft dough.  Knead 5 to
10 minutes, adding as little flour as neccessary.  Let rise until doubled.
Punch down and let rise again, if desired.  Divide dough in half for 2
loaves.  Shape loaves into twists or braids on cookie sheets and let rise
until doubled.  brush with egg wash and sprinkle with seeds, if desired.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes, until golden brown.
(May aso bake into regular loaves.)
- -Laurene