SC - New World Foods-rant

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 9 14:22:07 PST 2000

Adamantius wrote:
> A lot of the
>ginseng used around the world is American.

Indeed. Americans go to the store to buy ginseng imported from Asia,
but the Asian company imported it from the US first before processing
it and shipping it back to us.

>How about the cola nut

Hmmm, i thought this was West African...

>and
>things like sassafras? Maple sugar? And to the grainlike foods you can
>add wild rice and, I think, buckwheat.

Thanks! I *knew* i was forgetting some kind of sweetener, i just
couldn't put my brain cells on which one. I kept thinking sorghum,
but isn't that African or Asian?

Right, wild "rice", which isn't rice, and is native to areas like
Minnesota. One of my favorites.

Buckwheat? Gee, i didn't know. I thought it was north Asian. It's
commonly used in Russia (sometimes called kasha) and Japan (mmm,
soba!), but hey, so are plenty of other New World foods closely
identified with modern European (like tomatoes) and Asian cuisines
(like chilis).

Thanks for the additional info.

Anahita al-shazhiya

(Currently researching vegetarian cookbooks for her daughter. We both
like international and spicy foods. She was eating spicy Thai by the
age of 2-1/2 and a fan of snails and squid by 4, by her own choice.
Fast food has never been one of her favorites.)