SC - Response from author of horrible period foods article.

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Wed Feb 9 15:33:33 PST 2000

Bronwynmgn,

I am appalled at her attitude. She did have you on a couple of minor
points (the 14th c. is not the 11th c.), but her attitude stinks, and so
does most of her source list- _World Lit Only By Fire_, for instance,
has been out of favor for a very long time. And the encyclopedia? Since
when what that a good source for history?

Too late, but you might have mentioned-

Beowulf- replete with feast scenes,
the Bayeux Tapestry- pictures of feast prep and soldiers food c. 1066
the Domesday Book- accounts of possesions, including animals and
movables
various Anglo-Saxon accounts,
Byzantine stuff out our ears,
How bout those lovely bodies in the bogs with nifty things in their
tummies?

I could go on.
But as you pointed out, the author has her mind made up, and while I
could wave my degree at her, she doesn't care. I'd like to write her
myself, but she pissed me off (How dare she be so rude to one of us! 'No
one picks on my brother BUT ME') and I do not write persuasively when
I'm angry (Quiet in that there peanut gallery, sweetie!).

GRR.

Guess we'd better work even harder to prove her wrong  by educating the
public otherwise.

'Lainie