SC - Chihuahuas and Basenjis

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Thu Feb 10 21:49:04 PST 2000

Well, this food thread has gotten way off the original mark (so what else
is new;), but as an owner of a basenji and the former owner of
chihuahuas, I have some experience in this matter.  Chihuahuas do come in
a standard size, they just aren't usually called that.  They are
considered 6-8 pound dogs, the largest one I ever had (Sundance, bless
his apple-headed heart) was about 8 pounds and roughly 10 inches at the
shoulder.  The small ones are called Toys, the REALLY small ones are
called Teacups, and range in the 1-2 pound sizes  (much too small and
hyper-bred to be real dogs, as far as I'm concerned.)
	Now, the whole bit about basenjis not barking is something of a
misnomer.  True, they do not say "Woof, Woof", but they have a VERY full
vocal range, everything from howls and yodels through yelps and whines,
and when trying to clip Caliope's toenails, we can get sounds like a
woman screaming out of her.   They were also hunting dogs, and not used
as food sources, even by the Pharoh's, as far as I know.
	Even as a long-time chihuahua owner, I still got a kick out of the
description in Gary Jenning's "AZTEC" about the travelers taking packs of
chihuahuas with them.  The dogs would stay with the group, forage for
their own food, and were around when they needed to supplement the
evening's meal with one of them.  A self-sustaining food source that
traveled with you!
	All in all, I have owned dogs all my life, and seen the things they eat.
 I would not want to eat one of them unless I was desperate, because they
are omnivores, or should I say grossivores?   Not to mention their
favorite water source (anyone else get the Petopia commercials?).
Besides which, they're much more useful as bedwarmers!
	Christianna