SC - honeymoon sites

Nanna Rögnvaldardóttir nannar at isholf.is
Fri Feb 11 18:03:47 PST 2000

David/Cariadoc wrote:

>Is a certain museum in Reykjavik I would be happy to mention--the one
>with lots of jewelery and other interesting stuff--open again? It was
>closed when I was last there, to my great disappointment.

Well, no, the National Museum isn´t scheduled to open again after extensive
and long-overdue repairs until sometime this spring or early summer. And
yes, there is a lot of interesting stuff there but I hope it will be
displayed in a different manner when they reopen.

>For me, the real thrill of my visit to Iceland last year was being
>given a guided tour of Thingvellir by a retired scholar who obviously
>knew everything that is known about what happened where, how the
>landscape has changed, etc.

Oh, yes, Sigurður Líndal. He isn´t retired, by the way, he´s still a
professor of law at the University. And he really does know everything, sort
of - he is what we tend to call an "opiniongiver" (or besserwisser,
depending on how much you agree with his opinion) - that is, someone the
media is always consulting and asking for his opinion on everything. You
could not have had a better guide.

>Sitting in the breakfast room of a nice hotel in Vienna, remembering
>the breakfast room of  a tourist hotel in London, really brought home
>to me the superiority of Austria to England in certain dimensions. To
>Iceland, too, although that wasn't the comparision in my mind at the
>time. And to everywhere else I can think of, probably including
>France.

Vienna is wonderful, and I´ll go back there as soon as I can. But if I were
going on a honeymoon, I would go to Budapest. Beautiful city, good food,
interesting museums, proud but friendly people, not too many tourists.
Having coffee and some wonderful pastries with a small group of friends on
the almost deserted grand balcony of the famous Hotel Gellert, overlooking
the Donau, is one of my favorite travel memories.

Nanna