SC - Carrot candy

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun Feb 13 14:16:31 PST 2000

Yesterday, I went to a local event -- the Inn of the Black Gryphon -- and
brought with me the results of my latest redaction.  The recipe title
translates literally as "Grated Carrot".  It's a sweetmeat, made from
finely grated carrot which is parboiled, cooked in honey, then mixed with
pinenuts and spices.  The end product is a very sweet, slightly chewey
confection.  I made two batches.  The first came out quite well.  The
second was a little too soft (I misjudged the amount of honey), but still
quite edible.  I went around offering samples to the populace, and the
reactions seemed to be positive.

I'll post a translation and redaction later.  I'm open to suggestions as to
what to call the stuff.  "Grated Carrot", though technically accurate, is
not very descriptive.  I kept using the generic "sweetmeats" when
offering them to folks (except when I aproached the Moose Lodge
employees who were staffing the cash bar, and instead offered them
"candy".)  Is there a generic term for this kind of sweet?  I don't know
what it's closest to, though I suspect it's related to the Arabic halvah.
(Did I mention that this is a Spanish recipe?  Did I need to?)

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net