SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1887

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Mon Feb 14 05:11:31 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/12/00 1:38:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:

<< I look forward to it and I can probably goaded into
 another pontifical tirade if you work at it.

 Akim

Ok, how's about the idea of substituting turkey for "Bustard", it was driven
out of existence I believe. I  nor anyone else I know has tasted "Bustard"
but it was purportedly an upwards of 40lbs flightless land bird. Recipes can
be found in several medieval sources such as "A Forme of Cury" 1390 (IIRC)
and others but I can't seem to find them at the moment.
According to  Websters New Collegiate 1949
Bustard-avis tarda (slow bird), any of a family (Otididae) of Old World  and
Australian game birds related to both cranes and plovers esp the Great
Bustard (Otis tarda) the largest  European land bird.

Considering the availability of cranes and plovers, seems like it would be an
acceptable substitute.

Hauviette

The turkey is of course from a entirely different family (Meleagridae), but
hey, has anyone tasted Bustard lately?