SC - Re: Carrot Candy

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Mon Feb 14 18:57:27 PST 2000

And it came to pass on 14 Feb 00,, that rachel mccormack wrote:

> It sounds like a precursor of the dulce de
> membrillo,or  dulce de guayaba so popular here today.

A cousin, I suppose.  Actually, the same cookbook also has a recipe
for "carne de membrillo" -- quinces cooked to a paste with sugar --
which would probably be a more direct ancestor of the sweet you're
thinking of.

> You could, I suppose go for direct translating and
> call it sweetness of carrots, or be more anglified and
> have carrot jelly or carrot paste. Personally I prefer
> sweetness of carrot as I think that it has the nicest
> ring to it.
> Rachel McCormack
> Barcelona, Spain

It does have a pleasant sound to it.  Carrot jelly is not really accurate,
and carrot paste sounds like baby food.  I've been looking at candy
recipes, and I think this one qualifies as a nougat.  Carrot nougat,
perhaps, though it doesn't fall trippingly from the tongue.

At the event on Saturday, my lord offered some of the candy to a couple
of gentles who were outside the hall on a smoking break.  One of them
found his own solution to the name problem.  He approached me later
and thanked me, saying "That carrot stuff is awesome."

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net