SC - Carrot candy and carrot jalabs

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Feb 14 21:25:58 PST 2000

Lady Brighid gave us her redaction for Carrot Candy.

Part of her direction said:
> Grate the carrots finely.  Bring a large pot of water to boil over high heat.
> Add the carrots, return to a boil, and cook until tender, about 8-10
> minutes.  Remove and discard any scum which forms on the surface.
> Drain the carrots into a strainer or colander lined with a tea towel or
> several layers of cheesecloth.  When it is cool enough to handle,
> squeeze as much liquid as possible out of the carrot pulp.

I remembered while reading this a period Syrup of Carrots recipe that
is in my jalabs-msg file. It is:

> Incidentatly, the syrup of carrots is quite tasty and documents the use
> of ginger in beverages. I should have included it last night, I
> apologise for the oversight. Syrup of carrots is also from the
> Andelthusian Cookbook.
>
> <quote>Syrup of Carrots
> Take four ratls of carrots, after removing the fibers [lit. "nerves"]
> that are in the centers, and cook them in water until their substance
> comes out. Then take the clear part of it and add it to three ratls of
> honey, cleaned of its foam. The bag: ...[about three words missing]...
> an uqiya of cubebs, two uqiyas each of ginger and long pepper, and half
> an uqiya of cinnamon and flower of cloves. Cook until it takes the form
> of a syrup. Drink an uqiya of this with three of hot water....<end
> quote>
>
> Crystal of the Westermark

Since you are throwing out the water in this recipe, I wonder if you could
use it to make the Syrup of Carrots? Or do you need to cook the carrots
longer to make the Syrup than you want to to make the Carrot Candy? Even
if you do, perhaps since this water is partially already to carrot juice
stage, you could just toss in some more carrots and continue boiling them.

Carrots are relatively cheap nowadays and probably weren't that expensive
then, but it is an interesting idea. There are similar notations I believe
in period recipes about using water that something else has already been
boiled in.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net